Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A fall on the ice

Christmas Day in Elkton, VA is usually rather hectic- running from house to house as we try to see every blood relative. In the mountains of western VA, people rarely move out of the area, so just about everyone is somehow related.

It was about 2pm when we arrived at Grandma's house. As the rain settled in, I tried to run into the house to avoid getting wet. As I ran up the walk, I noted that it was a new pressed cement that had been given a 'natural chiseled look' and much to my dismay, cleverly camoflauged a layer of ice.

I never even made it up the first step- my feet shot out from under me, my butt hit the bricks and then my head hit the corner of the steps. Instant pain and then anger- this could have been prevented! Brandon loaded me back into the car and my sister-in-law came along for the ride to the ER which was 20 min away. Being in the country, it is faster to go yourself then wait for the 'squad' (as they call) then get to the hospital.

I was greeted at the door by the tirage nurse who asked a liteny of questions. I was wisked to the back and evaluated by doctors and nurses. After they saw the bleeding had slowed- the pace turned back to the routine 'hurry-up, take your time' pace that ERs typically go through.

After a clean CT scan and 3 staples in my head, I was handed a steril 'staple remover' which I was happy to note looked nothing like the King Cobra teeth I have in my desk at work. More like baby spoons....nothing like dull metal to remove these staples- I'm nervous about the removal.

The next day I wasn't sore, except for my butt where I landed on the bricks. It looks like a perfect impression of the bricks I landed on. You can see where one brick ends, where the mortar is, and where the next brick begins. Almost as if I took a rubbing of the bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment