Friday, May 29, 2009

Who's being Cheap?

It was someone's birthday at work today. Emails were flying around about a card and collecting money for pizza. Her boss walks into my office and says, "Are you contributing to the card?" Instantly I'm thinking: For the card? Aren't they less than $2? YOU are the boss, aren't you making enough money to cover the cost of a greeting card for your own employee? I want her to hear what she's asking, so I reply very plainly, "How much was the card?" to which she replies very matter of factly, "99 cents." I reach in my drawer and hand her a quarter. She throws me a bewildered look and says, "Are you serious?" I raise the ante and say, "I'll give you a dollar to pay for the card if that's what you are after. What are the others giving?" She laughs and says, "I don't want your quarter for the card! I am collecting money for her gift, the others are giving $5 and you just gave me a quarter."

Here I thought she was being cheap by asking for pennies to pay for a card- when it was me who tried to give 25 cents to a birthday gift!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like he needed to be a bit more specific.

    ReplyDelete